“Mom, I heard about a new yogurt that I know you are going to be very happy about.
It comes in a glass jar.”
Glass jar? That’s all I needed to hear…
The next trip to the grocery store confirmed it is possible to purchase yogurt in glass… Why am I excited about this? It’s simple. I can enjoy one of my favorite dairy products WITHOUT adding to the plastic container burden our planet has been exceedingly forced to carry as more and more plastic is used in goods of all kinds.I wasn’t shy and dug in- pulled back an aluminum foil lid that was securely attached to the glass jar.
After eating the yogurt, I found myself in a nearly perfect waste management situation. Three items to deal with:
- the jar- GLASS, easy to recycle curbside in my city, or reuse (aka repurpose)
- the lid- ALUMINUM, easy to recycle curbside in my city
- the wrapper- PLASTIC, the only problem with this product. Not recyclable curbside in my city. Unfortunately, this small item will become part of the waste stream.The glass jars were easily washed. With a little imagination, what fun these will be fun to reuse… to repurpose.
Look! Just like that, three ideas already:
- A place to show off my grand-daughter’s seashells.
- The perfect little vase for the flowers she picked for me.
- An awesome serving container for a garden-grown cherry tomato afternoon snack.
What ideas can you think of?
Please share your ideas! Leave a comment with your thoughts for reusing/ repurposing the five ounce yogurt jars.
In my opinion…
- This yogurt is as close to homemade and wholesome as a commercially-made product can be.
- The packaging for this yogurt is near perfect -ecologically speaking. (If only the labels were printed on paper…)
- This post is about as close to advertising as I want to get!
The following is cut from the Yoplait website. Normally, I would not write a post like this to promote a product, however, I think this one deserves an exception.
POURED AND SET IN EACH GLASS POT
Every pot of Oui yogurt is crafted to perfection and poured and set in its own glass pot. What does that mean? We pour our simple ingredients like whole milk from cows raised on a diet of only non-GMO feed and real fruit into the pot and leave it to set for eight hours. During this time, the culturing process takes place in each glass pot, and VOILA … milk transforms into a deliciously thick yogurt!
WHY THE GLASS POT?
Why NOT a glass pot? When we set out to make this exceptional yogurt, we considered every little detail. And that includes the container. Our glass pot is not only recyclable and great for reuse, but it also protects the integrity of the yogurt’s texture during the production and shipping process ensuring our consumers experience the best possible French style yogurt every single time.
SIMPLE, NON-GMO INGREDIENTS
The French believe the measure of good food is the pleasure and joy it brings to life. Oui by Yoplait seeks to bring these values to you through our delicious yogurt. It starts with simple, non-GMO ingredients, like: whole milk from cows raised on a diet of only non-GMO feed, pure cane sugar, real fruit and yogurt cultures. Plus, no artificial flavors and no colors from artificial sources.
Weekly Photo Challenge: January 27,2017 | “Repurpose”
* 8/35 I’m playing catch-up with 2017 Weekly Photo Challenge Posts | Names, Ambience, Graceful,
Re-purpose, Solitude, Shadow, Against the Odds, A Good Match, The Road Taken, Wish, Atop, It Is Easy Being Green!, Dense, Security, Surprise, Earth, Wanderlust, Danger!, Reflecting, Heritage, Evanescent, Friend, Order, Focus, Transient, Delta, Bridge, Collage, Unusual, Satisfaction, Textures, Elemental, Ooh, Shiny!, Corner, Structure